The Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible gathers nearly 5,000 alphabetically ordered articles that thoroughly yet clearly explain all the books, persons, places, and significant terms found in the Bible. The Dictionary also explores the background of each biblical book and related writings and discusses cultural, natural, geographical, and literary phenomena–matters that Bible students at all levels may encounter in reading or discussion.
Nearly 600 first-rate Bible authorities have contributed to the Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible. Intended as a tool for practical Bible use, this illustrated dictionary reflects recent archaeological discoveries and the breadth of current biblical scholarship, including insights from critical analysis of literary, historical, sociological, and other methodological issues. The editorial team has also incorporated articles that explore and interpret important focuses of biblical theology, text and transmission, Near Eastern archaeology, extrabiblical writings, and pertinent ecclesiastical traditions–all of which help make the Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible the most comprehensive and up-to-date one-volume Bible dictionary on the market today.
Features of the Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible:
- Nearly 5,000 entries explain every book, person, place, significant event, and distinctive term or expression found in the Bible
- Written by nearly 600 respected authorities in the field of biblical scholarship
- Includes 112 informative charts and photos and a 12-page section of color maps
- Supplementary aids include lists of abbreviations, pronunciation guide, transliteration key, and concise bibliographies to guide further research
- Entries cover the Deuterocanonicals as well as the Hebrew and New Testament scriptures
- Based on the New Revised Standard version of the Bible, with attention given to alternate readings in other major translations